ButterNugget

Despite my constant claims that I never have enough time to do anything, I seem to find plenty of time to waste on-line. This is my proof of time wasted.

Monday, May 07, 2007

The New Doctor

The other day at work I was talking with a few co-workers and someone asked me what I had done the night before. I replied that I just watched a DVD and ordered Thai. She then asked me what I watched and I said “the first disc in the new Doctor Who series”. The other two co-workers jumped in, one asking how it was because he hadn’t seen them yet, the other who had seen a few episodes asked how I like this particular new Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) and as we started to talk about the new female sidekick (Rose, played by Billie Piper), K-9 and the Daleks the female co-worker said very quietly “I’m sorry, I don’t know what Doctor Who is”.

I honestly didn’t know what to say, sure I know lots of people who couldn’t care less about Doctor Who, certainly don’t watch it and maybe even dislike it, but not having any idea what it is was weird, or at least it was to me.

Sure, it hasn't been around as new shows in several years, but before that it had been on for years and years, so many Doctors…but then we found that the co-worker never watched PBS and didn’t care for or hadn’t see much British TV. So that sort of explains it for me, since the only way to see Doctor Who growing up in the 70's and 80's was PBS.

Anyway, I just finished the rest of the series and if you liked the old Doctor Who, or just like sci-fi with a bit of humor I would highly recommend it.

I really liked it a lot and can't wait for the second series to be available on Netflix.

6 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, May 08, 2007, Blogger evandebacle said...

I admit to knowing precious little about Dr. Who. I have never watched the show and don't even know enough about it to mock those who watch it.

 
At 3:16 PM, May 11, 2007, Blogger OrangeMoJoJo said...

I *heart*ed Tom Baker back in the day. I have always owned a multicolored, ridiculously long scarf in memory of his Doctor. Orbital has a kick-ass techno version of the Dr Who theme.

I seriously considered getting "XTRMIN8" for my license plate, but alas, I know that 99% of the population would then think I was a vermin eliminator.

 
At 7:13 PM, May 15, 2007, Blogger Butternugget said...

I have a hard time when people say the word "exterminate" because in my mind I just hear it said in a screechy-panicy-roboty voice over and over.

I would *heart* your license plate if it said "XTRMIN8".

 
At 12:29 PM, May 17, 2007, Blogger evandebacle said...

'I would *heart* your license plate if it said "XTRMIN8".'

You two should get married and have Shaun Cassidy play at the reception.

 
At 10:22 AM, May 18, 2007, Blogger OrangeMoJoJo said...

SWEET!!!

 
At 10:22 AM, May 18, 2007, Blogger OrangeMoJoJo said...

Butternugget would have to make the cake, though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home