Holiday Spirit By Mistake
As long as I can remember I have cringed at holiday themed clothing and holiday colors worn on the holiday.
The last time I recall participating in this practice of holiday spirit I was in either fourth or fifth grade. I word a red sweater that had a row of white hearts across the upper chest. I know the time period because the sweater had the 3/4 sleeves and the heart pattern was a fashion counter part to the rainbow across the 3/4 sleeve t-shirt the early 80's.
Even at Halloween, which I love I avoid wearing anything with skulls on it to make sure I am not mistaken to have that kind of holiday spirit.
Worst of all are all the holiday sweaters and sweatshirts that are seemingly made only for middle aged woman to wear with slacks that have a bit of stretch in them. We all know these and we all hate them, enough said.
In grade school I recall a short period of time where if you didn’t wear green on St. Patrick’s Day you would be open for a punch, much like the “Slug Bug” game. I don’t think I was ever punched, but that probably has more to do with my surly nature than my clothing color. It probably just wasn’t worth it to hit me.
Then today, March 17th, Friday, I get up, sleep as usual and running way late. I put on the first clean t-shirt (which is a mossy green) I find and my zippy-trainer like jacket, and run out the door. Half way to work I see from the train window some jackass in a huge floppy green/white “cat in the hat” type hat. I suddenly remember, today is St. Patrick’s Day and I wore a green t-shirt.
Damn. Double Damn.
I seriously thought about going home or going to Old Navy first thing. Then I decided to suck it up and just go to work wearing a green t-shirt.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home