Alrighty, if you think that is a good idea, I wont stop you.

I can't believe no one at this photo shoot thought to stop this pose.
It is the Spanish men's basketball team, although apparently the women's team has a similar photo. It is being used in Spain for an advertisement with a courier company. No comment from the courier company yet. In defense of the photo team member Jose Calderon a was keen to point out it was being used only in Spain and that the team was asked to do a "wink" that would give a nod to their "participation in Beijing, an expression of Eastern eyes".
I have a feeling it was more like the Spanish equivalent of "Oh! I know, wouldn't it be funny if you made Chinky eyes?"
Another team sponsor is a footwear company owned by a Chinese Olympic "hero", Li Ning. I'm sure he isn't so pleased.
It makes me think of the grade school jump rope chant "King King China sittin' on a fence tryin' to make a dollar out of ninety-nine cents", that never made sense to me. China didn't have kings. Although there are a lot of restaurants named China King which has also never made much sense.
Even better there is the ever famous "Chinese, Japanese, dirty knees, look at these". This was done while pulling your eyes slanty (like the photo) up and then down, then pointing at your knees and then pointing at your boobs, or where your boobs would be in about five years (if you were a girl).
Nothing like an antiquated children's song that now sounds really racist to warm your heart.
Honestly this doesn't really offend me, it is more stupid than anything. Then again I'm not Chinese, but it does surprise me that they didn't think that this would cause a stir.

2 Comments:
If they're that childish then while in China they should probably avoid drinking the Coke.
Ah ha ha, yes, they should definitely avoid the coke.
Post a Comment
<< Home