I'm all for reinterpretation and reinvention but this sucks.
Even just a plain note for note cover would have been better, boring but better.
Oh hell, I was going to go on a rant about what a shitty cover this is and how the version they did on Family Guy was better but it is so sucky I don't want to waste anymore energy on it.
So here is Katharine McPhee’s cover of I Know What Boys Like, the 80's classic from The Waitresses. It is for the new film House Bunny which looks like crap (instead of sounding like crap) and among it's "stars" is a young woman named Rumer Willis. Oh joy.
Here is the real deal. The video was kind of lame, even way back then, but it is still a great song. It also makes me want to watch Square Pegs, are those on DVD yet?
But their best song (in my opinion), Christmas Wrapping, can be heard here. Yeah, I know it is one of those weird audio Youtube things where they just have a boring image running the whole time.
Sadly, Patty Donahue, the lead singer died years ago (cancer). She has to be rolling over in her grave right about now.
Oh, and here is the Family Guy version. I kind of hate Family Guy, but I love Herbert the Pervert and his dog.

6 Comments:
I just checked, Square Pegs came out on DVD this past May. I see it making it's way onto my Christmas list this year.
I've never seen the original video before. I like how deadpan she is, and how bouncy saxophone guy is. I'm glad he at least got a solo in there after hanging around with nothing to do for so long.
The new version...Well, I'd like to be able to un-watch those 5 seconds please.
Rumer Willis is pretty famous, if only because of who her parents are.
We saw the Square Pegs DVD set last month somewhere but didn't buy it. I didn't realize it only was on for one season.
Also, I honestly think Rumer is even more famous than some other yet-to-do-anything-but-be-a-child-of-other famous-people because she is not what most would call "traditionally pretty".
I am trying to be diplomatic with that comment. I didn't once mention Mr. Potato Head, like everyone else.
I hate hate hate that crappy new version. And I love that other Waitresses song. I don't know why we didn't buy the dvd of Square Pegs -- I'm blaming my husband. I love that show so much.
I know the Youtube link to the Family Guy bit is broken now, sorry.
Damn those take down notices that the big wigs love to send out.
Post a Comment
<< Home