Vacation: Day 2
Friday I helped my friend run some errands for the house she is re-habing and we went to Michael’s for some plexi but ended up with the fixings to make a fall themed wreath for my friend’s front door.
Then we headed over to the Penske Shop for a bit of a tour. The Penske shop has a great “fan walk” which is basically like a balcony above the shop floor, which allows for a great view of nearly the whole shop floor.

Lucky for me I also got a look up close on the floor and in a couple fabrication rooms. I love metal fabrication so seeing this stuff was awesome. How they shape the cars is amazing and really cool. Of course we visited the gift shop as well and my friend got me an awesome Ryan Newman long sleeve shirt to wear the next day at the race. I had brought my short sleeve from last year but it was far too cold for that.
Then we went to this great little Cajun place. One of those places in a strip mall that you wouldn’t think would be good but someone tells you to go there and as it turns out it is great. When we were trying to decide on crab cakes (not yes or no, but how many) they guys says “no bread, that's why we were in the paper”. It took us a second and then we got it, they don’t use any bread filler in their crab cakes. It is a hamburger patty sized crab cake, solid with crab, onions and peppers. It was amazing. I also got a small etoufee and hush puppies. I love hush puppies and they are hard to get up in Chicago so I was pretty happy. The owner was great as well, coming out and bringing us a special sauce and chatting for a bit. After that the rest of the day is a blur of errands, thrift stores and wreath making. Can you believe it only took two BFA's to make this thing? Stunning really.

2 Comments:
Strip malls sometimes have the BEST food. Niles, of all places, has a wonderful Chinese restaurant (168) and a Thai place (Lai Thai) - both located in unassuming strip mall locations.
There's a place in Deerfield - Stony River - I think it's a chain, actually... - that has those breadless crab cakes. They're REALLY good, but the sauce (a bernaisse (sp?)) was pretty overwhelming. I don't know about hush puppies, it's been a while since I've had the tasty treats, but for awesome tater tots go to Davis Street Fish Market in Evanston.
My brother's moving to Asheville and I have a friend in Charlotte - I can't wait to visit once Alec moves there! NC is such a beautiful state.
My friend I visited just finished working on (restoration stuff) many of the outdoor sculptures and fountains at the Biltmore estate in Asheville. I still haven't been but the photos I saw were very beautiful.
Next time I will get to Asheville, I must.
If you end up in Charlotte and need a good brunch place check out 300 East (not surprisingly located at 300 on East street). My friend and old roommate runs it and is the pastry chef. They have lunch and dinner, and Sunday brunch.
Post a Comment
<< Home