ButterNugget

Despite my constant claims that I never have enough time to do anything, I seem to find plenty of time to waste on-line. This is my proof of time wasted.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

One more reason to hate the CTA

Ushering in a new era of the cattle car, the CTA plans to eliminate all the seats on some cars of rush-hour trains to pack in more riders who are otherwise left standing on crowded rail platforms, officials said Wednesday.

The standing-room-only rail cars would begin operating by the fall on the Brown Line, CTA President Ron Huberman told the transit agency's board.

Last month, ridership rose 7 percent compared with June 2007, CTA officials said. Although that may not seem such a dramatic change, many rush-hour trains have been packed with riders for years.

Changes to the current seating configuration are under review, but it's likely that an eight-car train would include at least two contiguous cars without seats, Huberman said. Elderly, disabled and pregnant passengers could opt to ride in the cars with seating, he said.

Most CTA trains can accommodate up to about 90 riders per car. By yanking out seats and eliminating the aisle, dozens of additional passengers would fit, officials said.

The CTA began considering alternative seating several years ago when it tested a train car with more center-facing seats.

Stripping out all the seats from some train cars is not the CTA's preference in terms of customer service, Huberman said. But with ridership increasing each month—in large part because of soaring gasoline prices and a new requirement to provide free rides to senior citizens—the transit agency is unable to afford more service.

Ridership among senior citizens has jumped 25 percent since March, when the free-ride program took effect.
If my commute didn't take over an hour (when it used to take 40 min.) maybe I wouldn't be so furious about this.

I ride the Brown Line, where this experiment will start. I can tell you exactly what will happen. Everyone will rush to the cars that do have seats causing even more crowding in those cars and causing more elderly and pregnant women to glare at the guy who just pushed them out of the way to get to the free seat faster than they could.

Frankly, I will also rush to those cars. I can not stand for 75 minutes every morning and every night. That will kill my back in no time flat.

And don't get me started on the "only rush hour" bullshit. "Leave early, leave late, alternate", that is such crap. If I leave work after 7.00 pm it is worse, slower speeds and longer waits for the train and in the morning it is the worst. If you leave after 8.30 am you can count on a leisurely paced trip that can not be more than 10-15 miles per hour, with frequent stops in between stations.

The only thing I don't blame them for is the seniors ride free fallout, that was an insane move by the Gov.

If I were to win the lottery or could count on a work schedule that was more consistent so I could car pool I would drive. I really would. I can't stand that the CTA is able to so consistently run their business so poorly and get away with it year after year.

I wouldn't mind price increases, I really wouldn't, if they could just for once take responsibility and get their shit together.

4 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, July 17, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's an experiment. We'll see how it works. I was a little surprised that they were going to test this on the Brown Line rather than the Red. Is the Brown Line really that crowded?

I want to give Ron Huberman some credit for trying to fix a bunch of problems right away. The Blue Line should be noticeably zippier once they get all the rail work done; ditto the Red and Brown, of course. It seems like the CTA really is trying to do better. But YMMV.

 
At 11:31 AM, July 17, 2008, Blogger Butternugget said...

No, the Brown line isn't as busy as the Red, I agree with you there. I rode the Red line for 12 years and my vote for first fix would be to make the Red line not smell like pee.

Also, I recall reading some time ago that they were considering the NYC style of bench seats facing in, also as an experiment. This seems logical. To not have any seats, even if it is only some cars seems down right ridiculous.

I'm sorry but I can not agree that they are trying to do better as I see repeated lapses in their judgment and planning. From bad planning, bad platform designs and add campaigns that are little more than propaganda.

It could be the stops and times I frequent but I have had nothing be less services and more delays in my four years on the Brown line, Montrose and Lawrence bus line. As you said, YMMV.

 
At 2:46 PM, July 17, 2008, Blogger Fujisan said...

The CTA is still buying cars with aisle facing seats, but they're not going to be ready until 2010.

 
At 2:51 PM, July 17, 2008, Blogger Butternugget said...

Ah, so those are a done deal.

I'm totally fine with these cars and think they will allow for more bodies but still have some seating. Everyone is happy...if they are on time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home