Stephen Fry and Doctor Who
If you enjoy either (or both) Stephen Fry or Doctor Who you should check out Stephen's most recent podcast (Episode 4, Broadcasting).
His subject this time is about broadcasting in the UK and the BBC (especially licensing fees). Amongst his explanations and opinions are some wonderful memories of the BBC (TV and radio). My favorite is a short bit about when he and his sibling saw the very first Doctor Who.
He's such a great actor, narrator, writer, presenter and more. I just love listening to him, he seems like he would be such a fantastic dinner party guest, a party that would last long into the night with drink and talk. I also love that he is a tech dork.
Look how young he is here, before Fry and Laurie times maybe?

3 Comments:
Ok, I'll give this another try, but I thought the first three podcasts were a little lame.
I'd be very interested in finding his series on traveling through America. Maybe it hasn't aired yet?
I realize he's very well-respected in the UK.
I agree the first three were a bit boring. However, I found this one to be a really interesting commentary about licensing, fees and the changing world of broadcasting.
He mentions his America series and it sounds like it should air shortly (in the UK anyway).
Fry does a good job of explaining the BBC mission, I'd say. That the BBC puts out such great programming is a mystery, considering that it's a government agency. Certainly goes against capitalist economic theory.
Still, I haven't seen much evidence that Fry has figured out how to master the podcast medium, given that he simply recapitulated an excellent speech given elsewhere.
Post a Comment
<< Home