ButterNugget

Despite my constant claims that I never have enough time to do anything, I seem to find plenty of time to waste on-line. This is my proof of time wasted.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Say what you will about Lily Allen


But this dress is fantastic! The vintage cut is great and the fabric pattern is amazing. It could only be better (for me anyway) if the background color was black.

If you can't tell that pattern is a Bambi-esque character beheaded and spewing blood.

I like the shape of the shoe with this dress but the color would not have been my first choice. I really hope she colored her real hair pink and is done with that bad blond look she's been sporting for a few weeks, she looks so much better with dark hair. Oh, and she should ditch the bad lace bow in her hair, pink hair is enough of an accessory, you don't need it to be anymore busy.

Actually the bow looks just like a pair of knee socks I got in Korean in 1985. They were awesome, pink lace with a ruffled satin edge, but it was 1985 and I was 15 years old. I wore them with a pair of pointy-toed black leather Roman-esque sandals that wrapped up my ankle. That doesn't sound as good in writing as it does in my mind. Trust me, in the summer of 1985 I was way fashion forward, even though it sounds kind of a like one of the hooker outfits from Angel (the teen prostitute movie, not the vampire series).

Or course she ended up really drunk (again) in public, the night of this photo and had to be carried out and she doesn't have a lot of talent but 75% I think she looks really cute. Of course I would also like to urge her to always wear underwear and not follow the Lohan/Spears/Hilton way, but that might be too much to ask.

9 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, June 04, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was my introduction to Lily Allen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_4tQ3UZOlo

 
At 2:24 PM, June 04, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Anne and I went to London, we hung out with Claire and Jeff a few times and one of the outings was something I suggested-- go to a sketch comedy show in a small venue above a bar. It was a lot of fun, but Anne and I especially had trouble with the pop culture references and I had no idea why a lot of lines were funny.

One of the songs they did was faux Lily Allen and I distinctly remember one of the lines referring to the pastime mentioned in the video above. Then two years later, I was watching the Big Fat Trivia Quiz when that a moment from our London visit suddenly made sense.

 
At 2:57 PM, June 04, 2008, Blogger Butternugget said...

Oh yeah! That is a good one, I love the Big Fat Quiz Show. I've tried to explain that particular bit to a couple people and have failed because I get the blank stare of "I guess you had to be there".

And, as it turns out shortly after that appearance she announced that she was pregnant and would be keeping it, then she lost the baby shortly thereafter. Probably for the best.

Somewhere I have some really hilarious photos I saved of her and her dad (who is well known in the UK for his acting and comedy) drinking together in costumes at Glastonbery, clearly smashed. I'll have to try and find those.

 
At 3:13 PM, June 04, 2008, Blogger Butternugget said...

So the Fug girls have this to say about the same photos.

"
I mean, what poor, sad, troubled soul would wear a satin tribute to a bleeding deer... with THOSE SHOES? Clearly this girl needs help.

And yes, that IS Bambi, America's second-favorite orphan (behind Annie both alphabetically and in musical ability), up there being decapitated. I greatly look forward to the day when Disney releases the rest of its Macabre Fairy-Tale Wedding gows: the Beast being beheaded, Ariel being eaten with a plate of chips, Cinderella's glass slipper shattering and chopping her foot to smithereens, and of course -- THE HORROR -- Amy Adams shaving Patrick Dempsey's signature coif."

So they agree with the shoes but don't find the awesomeness in the dress that I do. But I'd also like to note that Cinderella's feet getting cut isn't far off the mark from the original when one of the sisters cuts her toes off to try and fit in the shoe. And yes, I think that would also make a great pattern for a dress.

 
At 3:52 PM, June 04, 2008, Blogger Owen said...

"Say what you will about Lily Allen..." Like, "Who the heck is Lily Allen?" But you guys have my back, and now I'm getting edumacated.

 
At 4:04 PM, June 04, 2008, Blogger Butternugget said...

Glad to help you know more useless pop culture facts.

By the way, this photo is getting serious attention on the web today, in the last two hours it has popped up in many sites that I have in my RSS, god only knows how much more is out there.

Sadly, most post think the dress and hair are awful.

 
At 8:48 PM, June 04, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to comment on the clothes. Gotta agree with FUG about the shoes-- with the pink hair and dress, the shoes gotta be pink or maybe black. (Although the blues do match her nails...)

But I LUV THE DRESS!!!!

 
At 9:37 PM, June 04, 2008, Blogger Nico's Mom said...

Speaking of the '80s, the 1987 me covets this dress. The 2008 me... well, if I can't wear it to work or to sit around watching the Wiggles, then it's probably not a practical addition to my wardrobe.

 
At 8:07 AM, June 05, 2008, Blogger Fujisan said...

Lily Allen looks much better with pink hair and that dress than she does blond and topless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home