Going to hell
On the news last night I heard a story, a story of 'family tragedy'.
It was a tragedy, I agree, they lost a son a month ago (he was in the army) he was just two years out of high school. Then, one month later, two days after Christmas, their house burned, apparently loosing most everything.
I’ve been in a house fire, and it is terrifying and I was very lucky, there was smoke and water damage and a room had to be gutted and redone, but no one died and very little was lost. I understand how scary it is and I have a small sense of how helpless you must feel when it takes over and your stuff is gone forever, in the blink of an eye.
Here is the part where I will surely go to hell (if there is one, and you believe in that).
A fund has been started and not only has the news asked for people help to aid the family, the family, on the lawn of their burned out home asked for help from the "community". All this time I am thinking, what happened? Faulty wiring? Space heaters? Both very common in older houses (which this looked to be) and especially in the winter.
Finally, a quick mention was made of the cause, just as the story ended. "A make shift shrine to the soldier is believed to be the cause"
For a second I thought the shrine must have been outside, you see those a lot and I often wonder about the candles, and how safe that is. Then I realized, by the picture on TV that the house was clearly burned from the inside.
This morning I heard it on the radio and they have confirmed that candles burning on a shrine, in the house, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT caught pictures on fire.
Well duh! Who the hell leaves candles burning all night unattended? I know, someone will probably email me and say 'Catholics', but seriously, all night while you are sleeping? That is just stupid and asking to burn your house down.
I hate to be a total bitch when they are suffering great losses, but why is it the "communities" responsibility to pay for a fire and find them a home that they basically started with their lack of thought?
There I said it. Now everyone can tell me how mean I am.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home