ButterNugget

Despite my constant claims that I never have enough time to do anything, I seem to find plenty of time to waste on-line. This is my proof of time wasted.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Cho and Takei

I don’t have heroes; I’ve never used that word or idea. I have people I think are awesome and admire, but hero seems a little over used, like diva.

I like Margaret Cho a lot; she is super funny and makes me laugh so hard I cry, a lot and over and over. I also have a soft spot in my heart for Koreans and especially Cho’s, and she also fits that bill. No one does a better impersonation of a Korean, let alone a Korean mother. That always cracks me up. She is awesome.

Margaret is in Chicago for the Gay Games and had a show tonight at the Chicago Theatre. It was sold out and filled to the brim with gays, lesbians, fag hags and two Caucasian grandparents who didn’t laugh. I couldn’t figure out why they were there, but they did stay the whole show so maybe they laugh on the inside.

We had awesome seats and the show was great, as I expected it would be. She did some new stuff, and some classics. Everyone loves “ass master” and I think it is her Freebird. One of the new pieces that was tear inducing funny was her impression of the North Koreans denying they have nuclear weapons. I can’t explain it and I wont try, just trust me that it was hilarious.

At the very end she thanked a bunch of people and gave a shout out to all the participants of the Gay Games and then she thanked George Takei (Mr. Sulu and the most awesome voice on television) for coming, and for a second I wasn’t sure if she meant that he came to the Gay Games or her show, then she said he was “here tonight”.

Awesome! I totally wanted to see George Takei! I know he is in town for the games, but I also know he recently did a great series called Crossing East (it was on NPR but you can get the podcasts now) and he and Margaret were the narrators. I like to imagine they are now best friends. I have a feeling George might find her a humor little crass and probably thinks she could still be funny with out all the dirty words, sort of like a parent.

I looked in the obvious places, front row and boxes, but I didn't see him.

Then while I waited for my friends just outside the entrance of the theatre I stepped backwards to avoid someone who was about to run into me and lightly touched someone else and low and behold who is right there? George Takei!!!

So I'm pretty excited, Margaret Cho and George Takei in one night!



P.S. In finding the George Takei link I see that he also has a Myspace, damn, who doesn’t have one now?

P.P.S I’m pretty sure a Dependable Skeleton will soon be asking Mr. Takei to be his friend as soon as he reads this.

4 Comments:

At 8:05 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger evandebacle said...

Is Margaret Cho anorexic? I don't remember her being that thin.

 
At 11:51 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Butternugget said...

No, although she had problems in the past with that and diet pills. She lost the weight about a year ago (or more) I believe in part to her complete and utter obsession with belly dancing. Which does make my cringe a little. But she looks awesome so I wont knock her for it.

 
At 12:12 PM, July 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Youbetcha I went right to George Takei's myspace page and asked him to be friends.

I don't think George would be offended by Margaret's humor; he's got a pretty filthy but funny song on his page.

 
At 12:48 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Butternugget said...

I thought you might like to have George as your friend. The only reason I thought he might be offended is I heard him talk about Howard Stern and why he recorded voice work for them and he mentioned thinking Howard could be funny with out the potty mouth.

I read his blog entry tribute to Pat Morita and I also love this idea that the two of them would have dinners together and tell dirty jokes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home