ButterNugget

Despite my constant claims that I never have enough time to do anything, I seem to find plenty of time to waste on-line. This is my proof of time wasted.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Scrrrrrrrream for ribs














This morning I read that Moo & Oink (watch out, the site plays the line when it loads, but just the one time) are changing their jingle. Why mess with perfection? It is just like New Coke, we didn’t ask for it, so why are they changing?

Who doesn’t love the strained voice that almost squeals out “mooooo annnnd ooooink”? I know I do.

As far as I can tell just the jingle will change, and not the squeal, but still, it seems like the end of an era.

I recall many a late night when I first moved to Chicago with the TV on (I didn’t have cable) and in between some really bad movie on one of the six channels I got, I would hear the commercial first and then look up. I don’t think I ever saw a Moo & Oink commercial before 1.00 am. Then I would sit there trying to figure out just what the hell was going on in those commercials. The production was/is crap, but they are classics. Two mascots, a pig and a cow (which seems to be a steer but what do I know) dancing or pointing to big piles of meat. Seeing ten pounds of chicken wings in a clear plastic bag sure makes you rethink their tasty-ness.

The deed has been done, last week there was a contest and they picked a winner. They were going for a new hipper (aka Hip Hop or Rap) sound that the kids would connect with. Of the old jingle someone said "It's catchy," he said of the old version. "But it sounds like the '80s--it sounds like Prince." Why don't the kids like 80's Prince? I can understand if they don't want Diamonds and Pearls but if the doves are gonna cry and the purple rain is coming down the kids should be fine and my God why wouldn't you want to rock 1999 and Little Red Corvette?

Anyway, local artist Kenlo Key is the winner, no word on when the new jingle will be heard in commercials.

Be sure to check out the Moo & Oink site, for such necessary things as the BBQ Weather Meter and pick up the "Show your Mom how much you care" Greeting CD. But you will have to check back for the Moo-tique, which is coming soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home