ButterNugget

Despite my constant claims that I never have enough time to do anything, I seem to find plenty of time to waste on-line. This is my proof of time wasted.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Ingesting the word

Today I was asked, “Do you want to go to the veggie cult place?” That sounds like it should be an easy one right? There can’t be more than one place that would fit that description. However, here in Chicago we’ve got at least three places that could fit that description.

All three are primarily vegetarian, and some vegan. I think only two are really run by cults, Alice and Friends and Victory’s Banner.

Alice and Friends has the best fake meats I’ve had since a place long closed in China Town (I’ve forgotten the name) and if you desire you can watch the cult videos while you eat.

Then there is Soul Vegetarian which is run by the African Hebrew Israelites which seems like a legit religion. Although I think many people would call any religion outside of the norm a cult. What ever their spiritual bent they have some great food with the focus on soul food and BBQ, which is hard to find at most veggie places.

Victory’s Banner, where we did eat, has some great scrambles and a bottomless chai that I love and I think may have addictive properties. Sure their menu tells of their mediations and time off to celebrate their spiritual leaders birthday but you can't go wrong with sun-dried tomatoes and goat cheese scamble washed down with a ton of chai.

I'm pretty sure I wont be swayed to any of their spiritual teaches by eating there but if I start wearing a lot of robes and shave my head or track suits paired with Nike's you might want to make sure I'm okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home