Posting the photo is the weird bit
I am all for elaborate pet funerals. When I was a kid I would ask my dad to make little plywood coffins for any pet that died. I would decorate the outside with drawings and I would make little "beds" for them with pretty fabric and padding. Then, providing it wasn't the dead of winter (it was Minnesota) we would bury them. At least one hamster had to wait until spring thaw for interment. I believe there were three hamsters (Luke, Leia and Johnny) and a finch (Beauregard) that got the plywood coffin.
I know in 1975 we didn't have blogs, but I still don't think I would have posted this photo. Even if I did take the photos at my pet funeral.

I'd also like to say that if asked "How do you think Martha Stewart would do a pet funeral?" I would not have said "a ruffled sheet and a ribbon". That is really the issue for me, the sheet and ribbon.
It reminds me of an apocalyptic type 80's movies where people have no choice but to bury the dead in sheets or burn them. It also sort of seems like what you do when you are trying to quickly hide a body that you may have "accidentally" killed. I understand that she may have also done this for green reasons which I appreciate but I guess then I would have gone with untreated wood, or biodegradable cardboard.
And yes, I see the irony that I, a person who buys books with pictures of many dead and deformed things is saying all this. What else can I say, but "ruffles and ribbon".
The pup that passed was Paw Paw (A.K.A Kublai Khan Paw Paw Chow Chow Chow), seen here.

On closer inspection I can't quite decide if the edge is ruffled or just wrinkled. I'll go with ruffled just because I don't see how Martha would let something be wrinkled.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home