ButterNugget

Despite my constant claims that I never have enough time to do anything, I seem to find plenty of time to waste on-line. This is my proof of time wasted.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

They don't live here

I've been in my apartment for about five years. I got a new phone number when I moved. Almost from day one I got calls for people I don't know. For the first year or two you expect it, after that you start to wonder who is giving out your number to fake people out. Specifically collection agencies.

Anthony A. Rivera and Nikki Watts I am talking about you.

I'm not sure if this is how you spell your names or not, but I know them well enough. Nikki, in addition to owing people money Bally's would really like you to come back and be a member again.

Anthony, Anthony, Anthony, you sir have been my most frequently asked question. The calls will stop periodically for a few months and just when I forget about you, they start again.

Recently all the messages are pre-recorded and start with a very funny disclaimer. Something to the effect of...

"This call is for (insert 1984 computer voice trying to pronounce their name), if you are not (insert name) please hang up. If you continue to listen you are confirming you are (insert name) and if you are not (insert name) you are breaking the law...blah blah blah."

My voicemail eventually cuts off the message in most cases and I don't get the whole thing. The problem is these are all during the day and robot calls can't tell when they are leaving this on my voicemail and not that a person answered.

In the past I have called places back, or finally answered a call and tried to tell them I don't know Anthony and that I get tons of calls for him, but of course they either don't believe you or don't care.

I have also gotten a few calls that don't ask for anyone in their message but sound scary and mean and say they have "an important business matter to discuss" and something about it needs to be addressed now. So naturally I call back because I'm curious/worried and they always want to know who's calling when they answer the phone. They are always pissed when I wont give my name. I say "You called me with out asking for me so you can look it up by my phone number" and when they finally do because I refuse to give my name they say "are you Anthony Rivera?".

I kind of want to know at this point what Anthony does owe on, just to paint a picture of him, at this point I know there are several law offices involved as well. Is it student loans? Credit card? Medical bills? And is this all stuff from years and years ago, or do either of these people still give out my number on purpose? I assume it is all old and the collection companies just wont get rid of old numbers.

3 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, March 22, 2009, Blogger OrangeMoJoJo said...

We get these calls, too. We had originally been getting calls for three different people and have been able to straighten out the creditors on two of them, but the third one keeps on calling. It's that robotic message voice thingy on our answering machine. Once, when I was home during the day, I actually answered the phone when it called, and tried to get through to a person, I was on the line for 10 minutes before giving up. Even if our guy is trying to straighten things out, they aren't making it easy!

My favorite, though, is this bank that kept calling my hubby to "help him claim money" he'd left sitting somewhere. He had no idea what they were talking about and thought it was a scam, but he called them back after about 3 months to, at the very least, get them to stop calling us. It turned out they were calling everyone with his name - they had about 15 on a list - because they didn't know which one it was, but this person did indeed have a substantial amount of money sitting unclaimed and they wanted to help him or her get it back because, of course, they'd get a cut for getting it to them. Unfortunately, he wasn't the one with the unclaimed fortune. Blast! (o;

 
At 2:12 PM, March 27, 2009, Blogger OrangeMoJoJo said...

Ackie. Ackie Williams. How could I have forgotten that name?? S/he got another call yesterday.....

 
At 2:38 PM, March 27, 2009, Blogger Butternugget said...

Ackie? Wow, that is a strange one. Surely with a name like that they could find her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home