ButterNugget

Despite my constant claims that I never have enough time to do anything, I seem to find plenty of time to waste on-line. This is my proof of time wasted.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Some of my prayers have been answered...

This just in...Starting early next year (not soon enough) WBEZ will discontinue jazz music programming (which now runs from 8 pm - 4 am) and go "all public affairs and culture," said Daniel Ash, vice president of strategic communications.

Low-power WBEQ FM 90.7 in Morris and WBEW FM 89.5 in Chesterson, which now simulcast WBEZ's programming, will increase their power significantly and become "a public affairs station aimed at a younger, more diverse audience" than WBEZ's current audience, Ash said.

Now, the only problem here is, what do they mean by "public affairs and culture", and what is this "younger, more diverse" crap? I think I will have to write a letter to them...

Dear WBEZ,

I hear you are changing. Please, let me help you. First, thank you for taking away the Jazz, it was driving me crazy. In case you don't know, this is what I want you to keep and what you should get rid of.

What I do want:

*Wait, Wait...don't Tell Me!

*Morning Edition

*This American Life

*Car Talk

*BBC News

*A Prairie Home Companion (I know, I know, I have no idea when I stared liking this, and I don't like all of it but damnit, it grew on me like a fungus).

*The World


What I DO NOT want:

*Gretchn Helfrich (I never want to hear this woman again, I was so excited when her show Odyssey got axed, but she lingered on...and on...and I want to smack her when she is on a pledge drive).

*Word Jazz (this or Gretchen, I am not sure which is worse).

*Tavis Smiley (Why did they take him back??? His speaking voice is so very annoying and his questions aren't much better).

*Piano Jazz

*Hello Beautiful

*Jazz, at all, none of it, not a show about it, not a show to listen to it.

There are many other shows that I could take or leave, mostly leave, so if you add some new ones that might work out just fine for everyone. I just hope that from 5 am - 9 am it is news, news and more news Monday - Friday and on Satuarday morning please don't take away or move Wait, Wait very far.

I am a little nervous about you trying to aim more programs to the "young" but, I'll give it a shot and will try to keep an open mind.

To be honest, I can always change the station, and I will if I have to. I could go back to CD's in the morning, but I do like the news so let's see what we can work out.

Oh, yeah, and seriously, get rid of Gretchen. I've written letters about her to you before and I'll write more if I have to.

Also, we do not need any more of the Cowboy Poet and large animal vet.

Love,
Butternugget

3 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, April 06, 2006, Blogger evandebacle said...

8 hours of the Annoying Music Show!

 
At 10:07 AM, April 06, 2006, Blogger Owen said...

My local radio station ditched both the daytime classical and the nighttime jazz. Now it's all news shows all day and "a wide mix of music by diverse contemporary artists, from veteran bluesmen to emerging singer-writers" at night. The latter is sometimes good and always more tolerable than NPR-flavor jazz. What BEZ doesn't have that's good is Day to Day.

 
At 5:28 PM, April 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also hate Gretchen Helfrich, but how dare you suggest the cowboy poet guy has to go??? I love that guy! And I like Piano Jazz. I will miss the jazz programming. But Gretchen sucks so much. I want to ram my keys in my eye when she fills in for Lisa Labuz.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home