Inflation
If you are a creature of habit you likely know the price of at least a few things that you get frequently. For example, a lot of people know the exact amount for their morning coffee.
I don't drink coffee and I try to bring my breakfast and lunch but I don’t always remember or I am lazy. When I do get something during the work week I get the same things over and over and so I know the price, to the penny for several things.
In the last two weeks it seems the prices have gone up everywhere and I have been surprised to hear a new total and then had to dig for a few more dimes.
My favorite treat for breakfast, lunch or just for the hell of it is, Jamba Juice, Original Orange-A-Peel it was $4.35, now it is $4.73 for a difference of $.38If I am on my way home from errands I like to get a fountain drink from the Burger King, drive-thru it was $1.82, now it is $1.91 for a difference of $.09
If I want a breakfast treat I will go to Au Bon Pain, for a Chocolate Muffin or Pecan Roll they were $1.98 each, now the are $2.11 for a difference of $.13
Finally the treat I like to call the “bad-for-me-breakfast-sandwich” it was $3.84, and now it comes to a total of $3.95 for a difference of $.11 (which by the way comes with a drink so it is still a pretty good deal).
The Jamba Juice makes sense to me, fruit has been hit hard by the cold wave and I know when there is a shortage prices always go up. Although a nearly 10% increase seems a bit much, but what do I know about citrus farming (nothing).
The only thing that I think is odd is that I have never noticed all of them go up at the same time. I guess they all follow each other’s lead.
The only things that I think I wont get anymore, or at least not very often is Au Bon Pain items. Frankly they aren’t very good and I always felt a little disappointed and ripped even before the prices went up so perhaps I will walk the extra couple blocks to Corner Bakery and although they are more expensive they are far better in taste and quality.
And lets be honest, Jamba Juice could raise their prices by a dollar and I would still get them, maybe not as often but I would get them.

3 Comments:
Starbucks always keeps me on my toes by varying a few pennies from location to location. My venti raspberry mocha could go from it's current $4.10 (Lincoln Village Drive Thru location) to $5.00 and I would raise an eyebrow but would continue to buy 'em. The baristas would suffer though - the $0.40- $0.90 tip woud be no more. I'd hand them the same fiver and speed away.
Wow! Is it seriously a $.90 difference? That is a wide gap.
I notice the same thing with the large pop at various McDonalds in the city, but I find they don't go much past the $.20 range.
Years ago I worked right by the Rock 'n' Roll McDonalds and I went in once only to be shocked by the prices, they were ridiculously higher. All for the tourists.
And lets be honest, Jamba Juice could raise their prices by a dollar and I would still get them(...)
Especially if you keep getting Jamba Juice gift cards for your birthday!
-Fujisan
Post a Comment
<< Home