I’m a consumer…
…and I love it. I am sorry, I know it is all PC to not buy (sorry for the pun) into all the commercials, adds and gimmicks but I can’t help it.
I went out at the crack of dawn the day after Thanksgiving and shopped.
First of all keep in mind that my parents were in town and that is what we do together (I know, very heartwarming isn’t it?). Second, they felt they “owed” me a birthday present, so they wanted me to get something at Ikea that I might need. God knows I can always find something at Ikea I need, in fact not only God knows, but most of the free world knows that I am unabashed in my love of Ikea. I can’t help it.
So, we hit the road at about 7.00 am so brave Black Friday and do our consuming American bit. By 12.30pm we had done our jobs, we had gone to Ikea, bought stuff, gone to the mall, bought stuff and then went to Mitsuwa for lunch.
I am not ashamed to say that I participated and enjoyed consuming and now I am enjoying a lovely chai tea on my soft new rug and thinking about putting together that new bookshelf. Later, I will go outside so I can wear my new coat.
Would it have been more emotionally satisfying to have done something cultural and perhaps educational with my family? Sure, probably, but I am not turning down a chance to have someone else buy me stuff at Ikea.
Also, I had a celebrity spotting. James Iha (Smashing Pumpkins fame) was at Mitsuwa with what appeared to be his mom, trying to find a table in the food court. He was a lot better looking than I thought he was (and by that I mean pretty hot).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home