ButterNugget

Despite my constant claims that I never have enough time to do anything, I seem to find plenty of time to waste on-line. This is my proof of time wasted.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Ode to my hair, how I love thee 1983

During the summer of 1983 I loved the Thompson Twins, and not just their music. I loved their whole style package as well, I emulated it every way I could, especially Tom Bailey’s hair, the color, the cut and most famously his tail.


I started with one and ended up having two by the end of the summer (tails that is) and I had them for twenty-four years.

I treated them with far more care then the rest of my hair, I never colored them, I never bleached them and I braided them religiously (Tom didn’t braid his, he left it mostly loose, something I never did).

My lingering talent, I braid like a pro. I can braid with out looking, in the dark and probably underwater and in the tiniest, tightest and most even braids this side of the Mississippi.

Yes, I used the past tense up there. Twenty-four years and the final lengths were 32” and 26”.

You served me well dear sweet tails, go in peace.

P.S. I this wasn’t really an ode, I just liked the sound of ode in the title.

7 Comments:

At 11:34 PM, June 05, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, did you cut them off??!! I was just thinking about tails the other day after discussing high school hair with Jim. So... are you going to hang them from your rearview mirror?

 
At 9:10 AM, June 06, 2007, Blogger Butternugget said...

Yup, I cut them off. They are currently folded up in tissue paper and in a drawer. They are kind of creepy to look at, I feel like I'm looking at a toe or finger that has been cut off.

 
At 9:45 AM, June 06, 2007, Blogger Owen said...

Aw, so sad. I was wondering about your tails recently, wondering whether they were still with you. What happened, did you get a job in a foundry?

 
At 10:09 AM, June 06, 2007, Blogger Butternugget said...

No outside influences were involved, mostly I just decided it was time.

I also wanted to cut my hair (the rest of it) short and keeping up the tails (the more frequent braiding) with short hair is a pain.

One friend has decided it is a life changing moment and believes it will be the trigger for lots more change. To that comment I said "oh sure, I'm getting a boob job and lipo next week".

 
At 11:08 PM, June 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... you could always clip them back into your hair if you feel like it, maybe if you're going to an '80s party or something. Hmmmm... I'm seeing a potential market for this. Clip-on tails. Or you could use them as ceiling fan pulls. Don't hide them away in a drawer! The possibilities are endless. Remember, we are the ones who found 101 uses for an umbrella.

 
At 2:41 PM, June 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

UMBA
RELLA
ELLA
ELLA

 
At 3:34 PM, June 13, 2007, Blogger OrangeMoJoJo said...

OMG, you should have asked me before you did this. They did not shave Paris Hilton's head when she was incarcerated, so you really didn't have to cut off your tails in protest....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home