ButterNugget

Despite my constant claims that I never have enough time to do anything, I seem to find plenty of time to waste on-line. This is my proof of time wasted.

Monday, July 02, 2007

Anyone Surprised?

So good ol' President Bush commuted Scooter's sentence. He wont serve any time for the crime he was convicted for, but instead will pay a fine of $250,000.

Bush said that he thought 30 months (Scooter's sentence) was "excessive" due in part to the fact (he believes) that some "allegations never presented to the jury"

I guess it could have been more annoying, he could have given him a pardon right off the bat. But let's face, it either way Scooter wont see a change in his life, or life style so all is well for Bush and Scooter.

The suspicious side of me wants to know if Scooter himself will actually pay the fine or if his bank account will magically get a deposit from unknown sources right before he needs to pay.

AND...the fine print is...
commutation does nothing to prevent Libby from appealing his conviction. And if the appeal fails or is still in process at the end of Bush's term, there is nothing to prevent the President from granting Libby a full pardon before he leaves office.
So I that translates to Scooter will get the pardon sometime before Bush leaves office.

A part of me also thinks maybe we should have saved the money and not done all this, I mean of course we couldn't really not, but all that money, tax money, spent for a trial that Bush ends of negating in the end. Makes you want to say "why bother".

6 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, July 03, 2007, Blogger Owen said...

Whoa, political commentary from ButterNugget? What is this, Talking Points Nugget? You know all we want to hear about is rabbits, eighties bands, and actress/models in denim chaps.

 
At 8:51 AM, July 03, 2007, Blogger Fujisan said...

Nice to see that Bush doesn't listen to what the Supreme Court said just two weeks ago. Appeals courts that review prison terms imposed by trial judges may deem them reasonable if they fall within federal sentencing guidelines, which Scooter's sentence did. The case was even remarkably close to Libby's case - Victor Rita was given a 33 month sentence for perjury and giving false statements to a grand jury.

 
At 9:45 AM, July 03, 2007, Blogger Butternugget said...

That is how you know how annoyed/mad I am.

No worries for the next couple days, I am seeing Transformers tonight so I'll be back to posts about robots and space tomorrow.

And I'll keep my eyes open today for some good pics of half naked starlets.

 
At 10:39 AM, July 03, 2007, Blogger OrangeMoJoJo said...

Bush can't pardon Libby yet - that would make it possible for Congress to question him! He'll do that as he's walking out the White House door on his last day o'work and Libby can't hurt the administration.

"And I'll keep my eyes open today for some good pics of half naked starlets."

Paris Hilton is out - shouldn't be too hard to do!

 
At 8:45 AM, July 05, 2007, Blogger evandebacle said...

I'm with Owen. Politics? Here? The surprise is that I wasn't even thinking of a commuted sentence. Friggin' brilliant. Scooter never has incentive to talk about anything and Bush can technically say, "I didn't pardon Libby." And so the scandal that should have brought down this administration (or at least Cheney) is wrapped up nicely.

 
At 10:57 AM, July 05, 2007, Blogger Butternugget said...

You under estimate the mind of Butternugget.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home