Playin’ the Ponies

Saturday started off good despite the rising temperatures. I met several friends for dim sum before we headed out to Arlington Park racetrack. I’d been there once about ten years ago, but not to watch horses instead I was there for the Guinness Fleadh. It was also a million degrees out and icky (I hate summer, it is no secret).
This time I was there for a birthday party. I had no idea what a popular place it was for private parties but there were tons of parties out there. They have a lot of tents, each with a flat panel to show the race and a kiosk with touch screen betting.
We all got a voucher for a $2 bet. I am not a gambler and can’t see me ever becoming one. I’ve only been to a casino once and I think I spent about twenty dollars on slots. I figured I would maybe bet $10 that day.
I didn’t feel the need to read much about the horses but a friend did make us walk over and see the horses walk around before we bet. To be honest I didn’t pay a lot of attention, it was very very hot and I wasn't thrilled to be outside.
I picked my first horse by the name, and the trainer’s name. Glitter was in the name somewhere as was the word celluloid.
The race starts, I’m cranky, it is really hot and one of my friends decided we had to sit on the benches near the track, which are not under shade. Halfway through the race I realize that my horse is leading and low and behold it wins. It was kind of hilarious, I had no idea what was going on, I picked by horse by name and I wasn’t even paying much attention and I won on my first try. Turns out on my $2 bet (which wasn’t even my money) I won $48.60, not bad.
I played $2 more of my own on the second race and lost. On the third I played $2 and won $2.60. On the fourth I played $2 for me and another $2 for a friend and both lost. I had been told to bet on ones that had their names in the horses name or any other affiliation, or the word butter. Sadly, none of those names or words were used.
At the end of the day after dim sum, drinks (really tasty slushy vodka drinks) at the track and a few bets of my own and I still came home with more money than I left with which is pretty awesome.
I try not to think about how much I could have won had I bet $10 on that first one.
As for the others, one friend won about $25 but the other was not as lucky, I think he lost about what I won.

3 Comments:
I remember the first time I went to the track with my dad. I decided to play as little as I could on a trifecta.
And I won.
I STILL think of what I WOULD HAVE WON if I'd bet it all, but then I think of all the times I lost. Thankfully I never bet more than 10 bucks on a horse; or $1 at a time in Vegas at the slots. Every time I pull the one-arm of the one-armed bandit I force myself to imagine the sound of a toilet flushing. Pretty effective!
Where do you recommend going for dim sum.
Hey Rev,
Over the years I’ve tried a lot of small places that are really good, but about five years ago I stopped trying those smaller places and now I pretty much only go to The Phoenix.
The Phoenix is really good and it is also very big. The wonder of all the carts and craziness wore off years ago and I found I was only really interested in eating tasty food. I’ve tried most of the stuff that scares the white folk and yes, most of it I don’t care for either, but I did try it. What it finally came down to is that I really hated waiting for more than an hour to get into the smaller places on a Sunday or Saturday if it was past 10.30 am.
The Phoenix does get a lot of mentions in lists and articles about China Town and so if you go after 11.00 (the more usual non Chinese brunch times) there are a lot of fork use and you will wait a while, but they do have a good ticket method that keeps it going pretty well.
Also, it’s size helps with the greater variety of items and the amount of carts circulating. You can also ask for items you don’t see on the cart and are dying to have and they will usually hunt them down for you.
The Phoenix
2131 S Archer Ave
If you are an early riser and you go before 10.00 am you will get a picture menu (they just got the new picture one about three months ago) and you can just check off the boxes of items you want. But if you are looking for the charm of the carts you should aim for about 10-10.30 am. Good luck.
Post a Comment
<< Home