ButterNugget

Despite my constant claims that I never have enough time to do anything, I seem to find plenty of time to waste on-line. This is my proof of time wasted.

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Seeing Stars with Jack

Does anyone else remember watching Jack, the "Stargazer"?

He was on my local PBS station growing up, and as the name would suggest since he was chatting about stars. It was on later in the night because I guess reminding us of chances to see stars and glowing planets was better said after dark.

When I think or see Jack's shows I always think of Doctor Who because I frequently saw it on Sunday night when I was waiting for Doctor Who. I can't say that it wasn't a good lead in and didn't make complete sense.

I am however surprised to see that little has changed with Jack or his show. I'm pretty sure it is the same music, same moustache and the same toupee. I don't think he always had a toupee, but he has for some time.

He always had good tips on when and where I could see planets, stars and eclipses (lunar) just by "looking up". I have to admit that although I set my alarm to see something he talked about I would frequently sleep through it, my loss.

Now that I am in the city I have set my alarm and gotten up but buildings or lights usually stop me from seeing all I could see.

Anyway, I just saw it again tonight and despite his super dorky-ness and goofy over the top presentation I still have a soft spot for Jack and his toupee. I especially love the half-assed blue screen effects to make it look like he is sitting on Saturn's rings or walking the Milky Way.

5 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, October 07, 2007, Blogger Nico's Mom said...

I remember! I remember! I always liked the music. Does the music play anywhere on his Web site? I can't tell right now because my speakers aren't working.

 
At 11:39 AM, October 07, 2007, Blogger Butternugget said...

The site itself is silent, but there a million links, some for podcasts and streaming video so I'm sure you can find it somewhere. I like the FAQ's. My favorite one is this...

Question: Why did you change the name of the show from 'JACK HORKHEIMER : STAR HUSTLER' TO 'JACK HORKHEIMER : STAR GAZER' ?

Answer: The name was changed due to our presence on the internet. When people, especially children, were accessing our Star Hustler site by using a search engine, STAR HUSTLER was not the HUSTLER they got to link to...so, after some upset folks wrote to us calling attention to the situation we realized that like it or not, the word Hustler didn't have the same connotation as it did when the show began over two decades ago.

 
At 11:40 AM, October 07, 2007, Blogger Butternugget said...

And the FAQ for the song is very informational as well.

Question: What is the most frequently asked question about 'STAR GAZER'?

Answer: That's easy. Everybody asks about our theme song which is the classic'Arabesque #1' by Claude Debussy performed by Isao Tomita on the still available "Snowflakes Are Dancing" album (RCA 60579-2-RG).

 
At 2:27 PM, October 07, 2007, Blogger Nico's Mom said...

Sweet... gotta get my speakers fixed for sure so I can listen to cool Star (Hustler) Gazer music...

 
At 9:57 AM, October 19, 2007, Blogger OrangeMoJoJo said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home