ButterNugget

Despite my constant claims that I never have enough time to do anything, I seem to find plenty of time to waste on-line. This is my proof of time wasted.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Asleep at the wheel

The holiday season has kicked in and although I'm not a Grinch or Scrooge about it I can't say that I am entirely excited. I kind of dread it all actually. The travel, the forced family attendance the part where I have to come up with presents for people who don't really need anything and don't make lists (a.k.a family).

I think I would enjoy Christmas a lot more if I were to just get to stay at my own place, sleep in my own bed and celebrate my own way. I guess that is asking too much and large part of Christmas seems to be about not being selfish and to do what your family wants.

I just hope there is a decent BBC marathon this year. Last year it was Eddie Izzard and no family member wanted to watch it so I was left on my own to giggle. Last but not least the other thing I hate is that at all family gatherings I get the short end of the stick with the sleeping arrangements. I am either on a couch or a blow-up bed, always. I know I am the youngest, but at 37 I wonder when it will stop being okay to make me take the blow-up bed or couch.

On the up side my parents do try to make it nice, they always make sure to have tasty cheeses, Pepsi and various food items I love that they don't normally stock and of course there are presents, usually very good ones.

You can call me selfish but I would still like to make my own plans once and a while and I would like it to be okay that I chose to stay home for the actual holiday and maybe went for a visit on another less annoying weekend.

After weeks of not much posting I give you this depressing entry, and you wonder "Butternugget, where are the deformities and celebrity disasters?"

Don't you worry, I'll get back on track, after all Amy Winehouse will be with out her husband for Christmas (he'll be in jail) so you know there will be some kind of bloody-running-in-the-street Christmas Eve kind of display.

And, just because it has been a while I'll show you this little nugget.


You can read about Dede here.

This one really shocked me, and that doesn't happen much. Thankfully he now has hopes of some kind of treatment that could at least make his hands and feet functional again. When I see things like this all I can think about is folk lore and faerie tales, how else does someone who doesn't have access to the education we have explain things like this.

2 Comments:

At 5:09 PM, November 25, 2007, Blogger OrangeMoJoJo said...

I think you should stay home for Christmas and visit your parents in January when you'd have them all to yourself. That'll alleviate the wacky sleeping arrangements and extra gift buying.

 
At 12:56 PM, November 26, 2007, Blogger Butternugget said...

Oh how I wish I could, but that would probably start World War III. I've suggested it before and it hasn't gone over well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home