More fun with parasitic twins
You've probably already read or seen this but I can't let it go by with out a mention.Yesterday doctors in Bangalore Indian successfully removed the parasitic twin (four limbs and torso) from a two year old girl named Lakshmi.
Lakshmi's twin stopped developing in the womb (she never got a head) and was partially absorbed by her body. This rare condition is called isciopagus.
Lakshmi, is lucky in some ways. Lakshmi is named after the four-armed Hindu goddess of wealth, and some in her poor village in the northern state of Bihar revere her as a goddess (a temple is being built despite her surgery). Lucky for her she sort of resembles a goddess in her culture. In many third world countries or in the past children born with conditions like this died, were thought of as evil or cursed. If they were lucky they could make a living as a "performer" otherwise they lived in seclusion.
Apparently people did seek to make money from her. Her parents kept her in hiding after a circus apparently tried to buy her.
Complications for Lakshmi’s surgery were many: the two spines are merged, she has four kidneys, entangled nerves, two stomach cavities and two chest cavities.
It took over twenty-four hours to complete her operation, so far she is doing well.

4 Comments:
How much did the circus offer?
The doctor who delivered my sister (The Whirling Dervish) offered my parents a used Volkswagen for her. And They Turned Him Down!!!
Mom and Dad are going to die poor, I'm afraid.
What did they offer when you were born?
Boy is that something to be thankful for on Thanksgiving: "I'm thankful my mom and dad didn't sell me to the circus when I was born with extra limbs, where I would have died prematurely because I wouldn't have received the operation that has extended my life and enabled me to walk; and I'm thankful to the hospital that picked up the cost for the 27 hour procedure."
Dang.
What a beautiful name!
I wonder if my parents would have offered the doctor a Volkswagon to take me if they had one...
Butternugget: "What did they offer when you were born?"
Have you ever read the short story The Ransom of Red Chief?
Have you ever asked yourself, "Why aren't more red-headed children kidnapped?"
Post a Comment
<< Home